Thursday, June 3, 2010

Querelle

Querelle is a 1982 film directed by Rainer Werner Fassbinder, adapted from French author Jean Genet's 1947 novel Querelle de Brest.
French sailor Querelle arrives in Brest and starts frequenting a strange whorehouse. He discovers that his brother Robert is the lover of the lady owner, Lysiane. Here, you can play dice with Nono, Lysiane's husband : if you win, you are allowed to make love with Lysiane, if you lose, you have to make love with Nono... Querelle loses on purpose...
And this comes from IMDB, too good not to copy it here:
In 1982 the Golden Lion for best film went to 'Wim Wender''s Der Stand der Dinge, much to the disgust of Marcel Carné. He withdrew from being President of the Jury after releasing the following statement, "I would love to make a personal statement. While being President of the Jury, I would love to express my disappointment in not having been able to convince my colleagues to place R.W. Fassbinder's "Querelle" among the winners. As a matter of fact, I've found myself alone in defending the Movie. Nevertheless, I keep on thinking that, although controversial, R.W. Fassbinder final movie, want it or not, love it or hate it, will one day find its place in the history of cinema."
The statement appears at the beginning of Querelle videotapes and DVDs in Italy.

No comments:

Post a Comment